SubjectRe: [RFC][MEGAPATCH] Change __ASSEMBLY__ to __ASSEMBLER__ (defined by GCC from 2.95 to current CVS)
Date
On Sep 10, 2005, at 04:45:43, Andrew Morton wrote:
> This patch seems to have a rather low value-to-noise ratio. Why
> on earth do we want to do this?

When I started trying to split out the userspace<=>kernelspace ABI
headers, I
found a number of things (such as __ASSEMBLY__) that would not operate
properly in userspace. I did a bit of research and noticed that GCC
had a
macro __ASSEMBLER__ defined everywhere we wanted __ASSEMBLY__ to be
defined,
except probably more reliably (IE: We don't need to manually pass
flags to
gas). I figured that if I was going to change the linux-core headers, I
might as well change the rest. If you don't think this is
appropriate, I
would be interested to hear your opinion, although it might have
saved me a
bunch of work if you had brought up your issues before I split the thing
into chunks. :-D

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
make it so

  Last update: 2005-09-10 19:41    [W:0.112 / U:0.032 seconds]