    SubjectRe: [RFC][patch 0/2] mm: remove PageReserved
    On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 02:59:53PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > That would work for swsusp, but there are other users that want to
    > know if a struct page is valid ram (eg. ioremap), so in that case
    > swsusp would not be able to mess with the flag.

    The usage of "valid ram" here is confusing - that's not what PageReserved
    is all about. It's about valid RAM which is managed by method other
    than the usual page counting. Non-reserved RAM is also valid RAM, but
    is managed by the kernel in the usual way.

    The former is available for remap_pfn_range and ioremap, the latter is
    not.

    On the other hand, the validity of an apparant RAM address can only be
    tested using its pfn with pfn_valid().

    Can we straighten out the terminology so it's less confusing please?

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core