SubjectRe: x86_64 frame pointer via thread context
Dave Jiang wrote:

>>> I just tested your program on SLES9 with updated kernel and RBP
>>> looks correct to me. Probably something is wrong with your user space
>>> includes or your compiler.
>>

>> Note that there is -fomit-frame-pointer which might give different
>> results than without the option (or explicitly -fno-omit-frame-pointer).
>>

>> Jan Engelhardt
>

> I had somebody else test it on FC4 and he observed the same issue. It
> may be timing sensitive? Both platforms tested are em64t based so I'm
> not sure if on amd64 platforms it varies or not.....
>
> And you definitely have to include the -fno-omit-frame-pointer. x86_64
> gcc by default has -fomit-frame-pointer on and without explicitly
> stating that you want frame pointer you won't get it in rBP.
>
> It is possible that userspace or toolchain may be suspect, However, why
> is the value bad in kernel space when rBP from pt_regs is dumped?

One additional note. The app dumps the rBP for two threads. One looks
okay, and the other gives 0xffffffff.

--
Dave

Dave Jiang
Software Engineer Phone: (480) 517-0372
MontaVista Software, Inc. Fax: (480) 517-0262
2141 E Broadway Rd, St 108 Web: www.mvista.com
Tempe, AZ 85282 mailto:djiang@mvista.com