    SubjectRe: State of Linux graphics
    On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 23:33 -0700, Allen Akin wrote:
    > On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 01:26:53PM -0400, David Reveman wrote:
    > | On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 12:03 -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > | > In general, the whole concept of programmable graphics hardware is
    > | > not addressed in APIs like xlib and Cairo. This is a very important
    > | > point. A major new GPU feature, programmability is simply not
    > | > accessible from the current X APIs. OpenGL exposes this
    > | > programmability via its shader language.
    > |
    > | ... I don't
    > | see why this can't be exposed through the Render extension. ...
    > What has always concerned me about this approach is that when you add
    > enough functionality to Render or some new X extensions to fully exploit
    > previous (much less current and in-development!) generations of GPUs,
    > you've essentially duplicated OpenGL 2.0.

    I don't currently see any strong application motivation to provide this
    kind of functionality in a general purpose 2D API, and so it wouldn't
    make a lot of sense to push this into the 2D-centric X protocols either.

    When that changes, we'll want to explore how best to provide that
    functionality. One possibility is to transition applications to a pure
    GL drawing model, perhaps using glitz as a shim between the 2D and 3D
    worlds. That isn't currently practical as our GL implementations are
    missing several key features (FBOs, accelerated indirect rendering,
    per-component alpha compositing), but those things are all expected to
    be fixed at some point.

    The real goal is to provide a good programming environment for 2D
    applications, not to push some particular low-level graphics library.

      Last update: 2005-08-31 20:32    [W:0.024 / U:35.892 seconds]