    SubjectRe: State of Linux graphics
    On 8/31/05, Eric Anholt <> wrote:
    > the X Render extension." No, EXA is a different acceleration
    > architecture making different basic design decisions related to memory
    > management and driver API.

    I did start the EXA section off with this: "EXA replaces the existing
    2D XAA drivers allowing the current server model to work a while

    I'll edit the article to help clarify these points but Daniel has
    disabled my login at fd.o so I can't alter the article.

    > "If the old hardware is missing the hardware needed to accelerate render
    > there is nothing EXA can do to help." Better memory management allows
    > for better performance with composite due to improved placement of
    > pixmaps, which XAA doesn't do. So EXA can help.
    > "So it ends up that the hardware EXA works on is the same hardware we
    > already had existing OpenGL drivers for." No. See, for example, the nv
    > or i128 driver ports, both completed in very short timeframes.
    > "The EXA driver programs the 3D hardware from the 2D XAA driver adding
    > yet another conflicting user to the long line of programs all trying to
    > use the video hardware at the same time." No, EXA is not an addition to
    > XAA, it's a replacement. It's not "yet another conflicting user" on
    > your machine (and I have yet to actually see this purported conflict in
    > my usage of either acceleration architecture).
    > "There is also a danger that EXA will keep expanding to expose more of
    > the chip's 3D capabilities." If people put effort into this because
    > they see value in it, without breaking other people's code, why is this
    > a "danger?"
    > --
    > Eric Anholt

    Jon Smirl

      Last update: 2005-08-31 15:40    [W:0.050 / U:8.664 seconds]