SubjectRe: APs from the Kernel Summit run Linux
On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 02:18:10PM +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> > If it is from the ASUS, what makes you think that the D-Link runs the
> > same OS? It is quite often the case that one chipset design has
> > multiple operating systems ported to it (you see systems with the same
> > broadcom or Intersil chipset, one running Linux, the other VxWorks).
>
> > Please indicate how you came to the conclusion that the D-Link really
> > runs Linux.
>
> The device's ESSID during boot is 'Marvell AP-32', and the Libertas
> AP-32 and AP-52 design toolkits contain only ports of Linux and eCos to
> the device, according to Marvell. Considering the device's routing
> capabilities I'm believe it's running Linux, but I don't have a solid
> proof yet, unfortunately. The eCos port is intended for the non-router
> variety of the design.

There could also be a 3rd party toolkit with a different OS that you
don't know about...

> On the other hand, eCos seems to be GPL, too, although it's possible
> that the owner dual-licenses it.

According to http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/, it is either still RedHat
or already transferred to the FSF. That doesn't sound like dual
licensing, I don't think the FSF would do that...

> > > A firmware image is available from D-Link
> > > and it seems to be composed of compressed blocks padded by zeroes. I haven't
> > > verified yet that it's indeed a compressed kernel, cramfs, etc, but it seems
> > > quite likely.
> >
> > I'm downloading it right now, and I'll see whether I can find any Linux
> > in there.
>
> Good luck. I'll try to take a look, too.

Up to now I can only tell you that it doesn't look like any of the 50+
linux firmware images I've seen so far.

> > Sure, it's (unfortunately) not the first time I'm dealing with D-Link on
> > their GPL [in]compliance :((
>
> Rather unrelated, I'm trying to figure out what to do with Elo
> Touchsystems, they used my HID driver as a base of their own binary-only
> driver and don't answer to e-mail.

Well, if you seriously want to do something about it: They have a German
subsidiary. So if the respective product can be bought through that .de
office, we can do something about it here. Let's take this offline.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@gpl-violations.org> http://gpl-violations.org/
(ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

  Last update: 2005-08-30 15:10    [W:1.017 / U:0.068 seconds]