    From: Linus Torvalds <>
    Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:09:24 -0700 (PDT)

    > So 2.6.13 is being "safe". It allocates the space for the ROM in the
    > resource tables, but it neither enables it nor does it write the
    > (disabled) address out to the device, since both of those actions have
    > been shown to break on PC's. And sadly (or happily, depends on your
    > viewpoint), PC's have a _much_ wider range of hardware, so they are the
    > ones we have to work around.

    Actually, I can tell you that it is a known fact that Qlogic ISP
    PCI cards will not respond to I/O and MEM space when you enable
    the ROM. And this behavior exists in quite a few other PCI parts
    as well.

    So I think the kernel, by not enabling the ROM, is doing the
    right thing here.

      Last update: 2005-08-30 06:23    [W:0.018 / U:2.076 seconds]