SubjectRe: Ignore disabled ROM resources at setup
From
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:09:24 -0700 (PDT)

> So 2.6.13 is being "safe". It allocates the space for the ROM in the
> resource tables, but it neither enables it nor does it write the
> (disabled) address out to the device, since both of those actions have
> been shown to break on PC's. And sadly (or happily, depends on your
> viewpoint), PC's have a _much_ wider range of hardware, so they are the
> ones we have to work around.

Actually, I can tell you that it is a known fact that Qlogic ISP
PCI cards will not respond to I/O and MEM space when you enable
the ROM. And this behavior exists in quite a few other PCI parts
as well.

So I think the kernel, by not enabling the ROM, is doing the
right thing here.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans