SubjectRe: kernel 2.6 speed
>> In windows were performed about 300 millions cycles,
>> while in Linux about 10 millions. This test was run on
>> Fedora 4 and Suse 9.2 as Linux machines, and Windows
>> XP Pro with VS .Net 2003 on the MS side. My CPU is a
>> P4 @3GHz HT 800MHz bus.

> Hi,

> This test gives you the price of the time function on each OS
> since the 4 arithmetical operations are shorter to compute
> (several cycles against tons of cycles). It appears that the time
> function costs about 3 us on Linux against 0.1 us on Windows.

I know that this benchmark is totally flawed, but I couldn't refuse to
run it on my own and
to my surprise my numbers where the reverse! Running 2.6.12 gave my
roughly 73 million
"cycles" while WinXP only gave me 28 million "cycles".

This result made me further test the difference in time() in Linux and
WinXP and on my hw
(Compaq Evo N800c Laptop) it turns out that the time() call takes
roughly 0.4 us in Linux vs
1.0 us in WinXP.

Using the GetSystemTime() functions in WinXP yielded the same values as
time() did in Linux,
so it seams like that atleast on my hw that the time() and
gettimeofday() functions are as fast
or faster than in WinXP. The question is of course why my results differ
so much from Ciprians.

/Henrik H

  Last update: 2005-08-03 17:34    [W:0.021 / U:1.564 seconds]