    SubjectRe: [patch 8/8] PCI Error Recovery: PPC64 core recovery routines

    > I think what I'd like to see is that when a slot gets isolated and the
    > driver doesn't have recovery code, the kernel calls the driver's
    > unplug function and generates a hotplug event to udev. Ideally this
    > would be a variant of the remove event which would say "and by the
    > way, please try replugging this slot when you've finished handling the
    > remove event" or something along those lines.

    I'm still trying to understand why we care. What prevents us from just
    uplugging the previous device and re-plugging right away ? After all,
    the driver->remove() function is supposed to guarantee that no HW access
    will happen after it returns and that everything was unmapped.

    Of course, we'll possibly end up with a different ethX or whatever, but
    I don't see the problem with that ... It's hopeless to think we might
    manage to keep that identical anyway, unless the driver implements
    proper error recovery.

    Ben.

      Last update: 2005-08-25 02:53    [W:0.021 / U:28.904 seconds]