SubjectRe: skge missing ifdefs.
Hi,

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Al Viro wrote:

> As for your s/thread_info/stack/ - I don't believe it's doable in mainline
> right now. It's definitely separate from m68k merge and should not be
> mixed into it. Moreover, mandatory changes to every platform arch-specific
> code over basically cosmetic issue (renaming a field of task_struct) at
> this point are going to be gratitious PITA for every architecture with
> out-of-tree development. And m68k folks, of all people, should know what
> fun it is.

No, I don't know it. Sometimes merging can be tricky, but then I check the
original diff and apply it manually. What I'm planning involves no logical
changes, so it would be an absolute no-brainer to merge. It's the logical
changes that may even compile normally, that can be the a real PITA.

> When folks start using task_thread_info() in arch/* (i.e. by 2.6.1[45]) the
> size of that delta will go down big way and it will be less painful. Until
> then... Not a good idea.

I already did the complete conversion (and I did it forward and backward
to be sure the result is the same), so I dont see the problem to merge it
in 2.6.13. The final removal of the thread_info field can happen in 2.6.14
and any missed changes in external trees are trivially fixable.

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2005-08-23 13:20    [W:0.072 / U:0.460 seconds]