    SubjectRe: Power consumption HZ100, HZ250, HZ1000: new numbers
    Stephen Clark wrote:
    > Maybe new desktop systems - but what about the tens of millions of old
    > systems that don't.

    If it's an old system, it probably doesn't have working ACPI C-states
    though. Without that, low HZ does not save you anything. I should have
    said: 99% of desktops with the capability to do ACPI sleep have at least
    one USB device attached (usually a mouse).

    I do like saving power, which is why I run cpu frequency scaling on
    every machine I have that supports it. I'm happy because it does its
    savings without negatively impacting latency or high-load performance.
    By 2.6.14 dyntick should give us the same thing for HZ, which is why I
    think changing the maximum value now doesn't make sense.

    - Jim Bruce

      Last update: 2005-08-02 17:50    [W:0.019 / U:1.648 seconds]