SubjectRe: [Hdaps-devel] Re: HDAPS, Need to park the head for real

>>>What if the code to do "echo 0 > frozen" is swapped out to disk? ;)
>>>

>>Emergency head parker needs to be pagelocked for other reasons. You do
>>not want to page it from disk while your notebook is in free fall.
>>

>It's still a very bad idea imho, what if the head parker daemon is
>killed for other reasons? The automatic timeout thawing the drive is
>much saner.

For hard disk protection, I prefer the idea of the userspace code
thawing the drive based on current accelerometer data, rather than
simply waking up after x seconds (maybe you're running for a bus rather
than falling off a table)...

To get the best of both worlds, could we maybe take a watchdog timer
approach, and have the timeout reset by the userspace component
periodically re-requesting freeze?

Regards,
Jon.