    SubjectRe: can I write to the cdrom through writing to the device file sr0?
    jeff shia wrote:
    > thank you ,DervishD.
    > another question:What is the difference between cdrtools and cdrecord?
    > It seems that the fomer is bigger.

    cdrtools is a package which includes cdrecord. Or, the other
    way 'round, cdrecord is a part of cdrtools package. Nowadays,
    anyway.

    > On 8/18/05, DervishD <lkml@dervishd.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Jeff :)
    >>
    >> * jeff shia <tshxiayu@gmail.com> dixit:
    >>
    >>>I want to write a cdrw user space driver just like cdreord,but the
    >>>cdrecord is too complex and huge!can I write to the cdrom through
    >>>writing to the device file sr0,here sr0 is the device file of the
    >>>cdrw.
    >>
    >> Although someone may say that the size of cdrecord is
    >>proportional to the author's ego, the crude reality is that cdrecord
    >>has to be such complex and huge (well, I don't think it is huge,
    >>but...). It has to be complex because cdwriting *is* complex. Take a
    >>look at the code and see if you can get rid of things. Nowadays I
    >>think that most of the writers out there are SCSI-3/MMC compliant, so
    >>you can just use that driver, but that won't probably remove much
    >>code.

    Well, yes and no. If you have re-writable media, there's a packet
    driver for it in recent kernels, and it is possible to (indirectly)
    mount and use a cdrw device as normal block device. Ofcourse it'll
    only work for data "tracks", not for audio disks.

    /mjt

      Last update: 2005-08-18 14:51    [W:0.023 / U:6.964 seconds]