SubjectRe: rc6 keeps hanging and blanking displays where rc4-mm1 works fine.
Linus Torvalds wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Helge Hafting wrote:
>

>>>at the moment. The setup is fine with 2.6.13-rc4-mm1 x86-64, no
>>>problems there.
>>>

>>The problem still exists in 2.6.13-rc6. Usually, all I get is a
>>suddenly black display, solveable by resizing.
>>

>Is there any chance you could try bisecting the problem? Either just
>binary-searching the patches or by using the git bisect helper scripts?
>
>Obviously the git approach needs a "good" kernel in git, but if
>2.6.13-rc4-mm1 is ok, then I assume that 2.6.13-rc4 is ok too? That's a
>fair number of changes:
>
> git-rev-list v2.6.13-rc4..v2.6.13-rc6 | wc
> 340 340 13940
>
>but if you can tighten it up a bit (you already had trouble at rc5, I
>think), it shouldn't require testing more than a few kernels.
>
>Git has had bisection support for a while, but the helper scripts to use
>it sanely are fairly new, so I think you'd need the git-0.99.4 release for
>those. But then you'd just do
>
> git bisect start
> git bisect bad v2.6.13-rc5
> git bisect good v2.6.13-rc4
>
>and start bisecting (that will check out a mid-way point automatically,
>you build it, and then do "git bisect bad" or "git bisect good" depending
>on whether the result is bad or good - it will continue to try to find
>half-way points until it has found the point that turns from good to
>bad..)
>
> Linus

Ok, I have downlaoded git and started the first compile.
Git will tell when the correct point is found (assuming I
do the "git bisect bad/good" right), by itself?

Is there any way to make git tell exactly where between rc4 and rc5
each kernel is, so I can name the bzimages accordingly?

It takes some time to trigger the bug, so I could possibly end up with
a falsely ok kernel. Is there a simple way to restart the search from
that point,
or will I have to start over with rc4 and rc5 and say
git bisect good/bad until I reach the point of mistake?

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-08-15 14:33    [W:0.174 / U:8.044 seconds]