    SubjectRe: [RFC - 0/13] NTP cleanup work (v. B5)
    Hi,

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, john stultz wrote:

    > The goal of this patch set is to isolate the in kernel NTP state
    > machine in the hope of simplifying the current timekeeping code and
    > allowing for optional future changes in the timekeeping subsystem.
    >
    > I've tried to address some of the complexity concerns for systems that
    > do not have a continuous timesource, preserving the existing behavior
    > while still providing a ppm interface allowing smooth adjustments to
    > continuous timesources.

    I think most of this is premature cleanup. As it also changes the logic in
    small ways, I'm not even sure it qualifies as a cleanup.
    The only obvious patch is the PPS code removal, which is fine.
    For the rest I can't agree on to move everything that aggressively into
    the ntp namespace. The kernel clock is controlled via NTP, but how it
    actually works has little to do with "network time". Some of the
    parameters are even private clock variables (e.g. time adjustment, phase),
    which don't belong in any common code. (I'll expand on that in the next
    mail.)

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2005-08-16 00:16    [W:0.019 / U:184.164 seconds]