SubjectRe: Atyfb questions and issues
james,

I remember that xlinit in 2.6 kernel only works when BIOS option-rom
really init fb.
It can not work if the BIOS option rom is not executed.

For 2.4, it reversed, it can not work if BIOS opton-rom is executed.
Only work if BIOS don't excute the option rom.

YH

On 8/12/05, James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org> wrote:

> > > I have the following issue. I am trying to get an ATI Rage XL chip
> > > working on a MIPS-based processor, with a 2.6.11-based kernel from
> > > linux-mips.org. Now, I know that this was working with a 2.4.25-based
> > > kernel previously.
> >
> > Okay, the 2.4 driver is more intrusive, it programs the chip from start as
> > much as possible, while the 2.6 driver tries to depend on Bios settings. I
> > haven't checked out the 2.6 driver enough to see if it is still possible
> > to program from scratch.
>
> The code is there to program the chip from scratch. Just select
>
> "Rage XL No-BIOS Init support"
>
> The last time I tried it it didn't work. If we could get it working that
> would be great.
>
> > Yes, according to my register data sheet a 7 means the memory clock
> > frequency is derived from DLLCLK. Unfortunately I don't know what this
> > DLLCLK is. I think it means the chip isn't properly initialized yet and it
> > clocks the memory from a safe clock source to allow the computer to start.
> >
> > However, we most likely have no way to find out the speed of this DLLCLK.
> >
> > The memory clock frequency is important for the driver to be able to set a
> > display mode; it needs to program a memory reload frequency into the chip
> > which depends on the memory frequency.
>
> Their is code in xlint.c that should properly set this. Have to debug that
> code.
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-08-12 20:24    [W:0.082 / U:0.140 seconds]