SubjectRe: NCQ support NVidia NForce4 (CK804) SATAII
Allen Martin schrieb:

>>Erm, why they are not willing to support NCQ under Linux...I
>>mean many
>>people using NVIDIA based mainboards. And that against that what I
>>thought NVidia stands for - Linux friendly but seems only that this
>>statement fit on graficcards? Is there no "responsible" person that
>>says...Hello, Linux is a growing market that we need to
>>serve? With full
>>driver/program support?
>Likely the only way nForce4 NCQ support could be added under Linux would
>be with a closed source binary driver, and no one really wants that,
>especially for storage / boot volume.
Who won't have drivers for Linux? Who told you that..?
It would be a start point if closed or not closed source but say never
ever as your mail suggest is not a way to go.Whats about Servers that
using NForce Based Chipsets and they need NCQ? Always saying not needed
or so hard to hand out the lazy way that a company like NVidia
shouldn't go.

> We decided it wasn't worth the
>headache of a binary driver for this one feature.
Yes,you Nvidia decide..what's about the costumer dosn't the costumer
option counts? It's the A and the O of costumer relationship.
Holding up a possiblity is better than say: "Oh, the costumers buy our
hardware but have no right to use it at all."
So I paid 120€ for a NVidia Nforce4 and 3 Mainboard..and what..I can't
use it correctly only in Windows?
NVidia seems only interesseted in GPU market so they hand out a bit of they are also closed the argument you offered
aboved is senseless...because NVidia do so for quite a long time.

> Future nForce
>chipsets will have a redesigned SATA controller where we can be more
>open about documenting it.
So this was the last piece of NVidia I bought...about 400 Workstation not the worth.

Michael Thonke
IT-Systemintegrator /
System- and Softwareanalyist