    SubjectRe: revert yenta free_irq on suspend
    Date
    On Monday, 1 of August 2005 22:34, Hugh Dickins wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Jul 2005, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > > On Sunday, 31 of July 2005 01:09, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Linus has apparently dropped that patch for yenta, but in case it is
    > > > reintroduced in the future you will probably need a patch to make the network
    > > > driver cooperate. I'll try to prepare one tomorrow, if I can, but I have no hardware
    > > > to test it.
    > >
    > > The patch follows. It compiles and should work, though I haven't tested it.
    >
    > Thanks for making the effort, Rafael,
    > but I'm afraid your patch does not solve it.
    >
    > Prior to -rc4, or in current -git which has the yenta patch reverted,
    > my laptop manages APM resume from RAM with the following 8 messages
    > (I won't complain that it could list even more permutations!)
    >
    > PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:00:1f.1
    > PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:02:00.0
    > PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:02:00.0
    > PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:00:1f.1
    > PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:02:01.0
    > PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:02:01.1
    > PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 0000:02:01.1
    > PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 0000:02:01.0
    >
    > Unpatched -rc4 locks up on resume, showing none of those messages.
    > -rc4 with your drivers/net/3c59x.c patch locks up on resume,
    > after showing just the first four of those messages.

    Thanks for testing. The results you observe mean that the problem is
    in fact more complicated than I thought. It seems to make up a good
    test case but I wouldn't like to bother you any more. :-)

    > Whatever, I very much share the position Linus has expressed so
    > forcefully: it's foolish suddenly to demand changes in an indeterminate
    > number of drivers (surely yenta and 3c59x aren't the end of it?),
    > especially in the final days leading up to a release.

    Fully agreed.

    > I surely would not have asked him to revert the yenta patch, nor would
    > he have done so (thank you, Linus), if my machine were the only problem.
    > It's very easy for me to carry my own patches to get working, but we
    > fear the trouble seen here gives a foretaste of others' trouble if
    > the changes were to remain in the release.

    Indeed.

    Greets,
    Rafael

    --
    - Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
    - That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.