SubjectRe: [Hdaps-devel] Re: IBM HDAPS, I need a tip.

> hard drive parking was already sorted out. We have a script that does this
> and works great parking the heads.

Would have to disagree with you here. Jens' ATA7 parking code is a great
start but we still have a couple of issues to address before it's usable
for this purpose. (1) it only works on a subset of the devices that the
Windows driver works for, and (2) we need a way to freeze the device for
a short period so that the next I/O request doesn't wake it up before it
hits the floor...

> The problem here is that we have 10 different models.
>
> One will have 20 as X and the others will have 500 as x. Some will increment
> in 20 when you move them 45Deg, and some will increment 50.
>
> How can you determine from an shake, to a fall?

If there really are devices with resting values of 20 then I would agree
we have a problem. I've tried on a few different Thinkpads and have
always seen resting values of several hundreds. If this is true for all,
I would like to think we could estimate a sensible value that works for
everyone...

Regards,
Jon.