    SubjectRe: reiser4 vs politics: linux misses out again
    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Ed Tomlinson wrote:

    > No Flame from me. One thing to remember is that Hans and friends _have_ supported
    > R3 for years. This is an undisputed fact. Second third parties have be able to add much
    > function (like journaling) to R3 so the code must be sort of readable... With R4 they have
    > created a new FS that is _fast_ and _can_ do things no other FS can - I also expect they have
    > written cleaner code... Why are we fighting about adding this sort of function to the kernel?
    > Yes it may not be the absolute best way to do things. How many times has tcpip be rewritten
    > for linux? The answer is more than once. Lets put R4 in, see how it works, generalize the ideas
    > and if we have to rewrite and rethink part of it lets do so.

    remember that Hans is on record (over a year ago) arguing that R3 should
    not be fixed becouse R4 was replacing it.

    This type of thing is one of the reasons that you see arguments that
    aren't 'purely code-related' becouse the kernel folks realize that _they_
    will have to maintain the code over time, Hans and company will go on and
    develop R5 (R10, whatever) and consider R4 obsolete and stop maintaining

    David Lang

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

      Last update: 2005-07-09 02:50    [W:0.019 / U:8.168 seconds]