    SubjectRe: enhanced intel speedstep feature was Re: speedstep-centrino on dothan
    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 16:06:48 -0400
    Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> wrote:

    > On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:00:27PM +0200, st3@riseup.net wrote:
    > > Enabling, say, a duty cycle of 12.5% means that the CPU chip will be driven
    > > by clock just one time every eight, thus reducing power consumption and
    > > temperature (and it speeds down dramatically the CPU, too =).
    > >
    > > I tested it so far on my Pentium M Dothan 715 and on a Dothan 725.
    > >
    > > What do you think, could this be useful? I could provide a patch or a
    > > stand-alone module. Should I write an interface to sysfs?
    >
    > You just reinvented the p4-clockmod driver :-)

    Oops. =)

    > This hasn't been seen to save any power whatsoever that I've seen.

    It drops down power rating by 1500-1800mW on my Toshiba Satellite A50
    while idling at 400MHz.

    > I've heard a few reports that it reduces heat for a few folks, but
    > betting on it increasing your battery life is probably a push.

    Just a latest question: can be p4-clockmod used together with
    speedstep-centrino? If not, would it make any sense to patch
    speedstep-centrino to use this feature too?

    --
    ciao
    st3