    SubjectRe: Realtime Preemption, 2.6.12, Beginners Guide?
    Date
    On Thursday 07 Jul 2005 12:42, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Alistair John Strachan <s0348365@sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
    > > > do you have DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW and latency tracing still enabled? The
    > > > combination of those two options is pretty good at detecting stack
    > > > overflows. Also, you might want to enable CONFIG_4KSTACKS, that too
    > > > disturbs the stack layout enough so that the error message may make it
    > > > to the console.
    > >
    > > I already have 4KSTACKS on. Latency tracing is enabled, but
    > > STACKOVERFLOW isn't; I'll just reenable everything again until we fix
    > > this. Do you think if I removed the printk() line I might get some
    > > useful information, before it does the stack trace?
    >
    > usually such loops happen if the stack has been overflown and critical
    > information that lies on the bottom of the stack (struct thread_info) is
    > overwritten. Then we often cannot even perform simple printks. Stack
    > overflow debugging wont prevent the crash, but might give a better
    > traceback.
    >
    > Ingo

    http://devzero.co.uk/~alistair/oops1.jpeg

    I disabled the trace and the STACKOVERFLOW option seems to help; I've got a
    (slightly truncated) oops from the kernel. What happens is that I get an
    oops, then I get a BUG: warning me about the softlock, then I get another
    oops. I'm about to reboot to confirm whether the second oops is identical to
    the first (I suspect that it is).

    Is this any help do you?

    --
    Cheers,
    Alistair.

    personal: alistair()devzero!co!uk
    university: s0348365()sms!ed!ac!uk
    student: CS/CSim Undergraduate
    contact: 1F2 55 South Clerk Street,
    Edinburgh. EH8 9PP.

      Last update: 2005-07-07 14:29    [W:0.020 / U:130.764 seconds]