    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] PlugSched-5.2.1 for 2.6.11 and 2.6.12
    Date
    On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 21:25, Peter Williams wrote:
    > Con Kolivas wrote:

    > >>Con,
    > >> We've done some more testing with this with results that are still
    > >>disappointing.
    > >
    > > Is this with the migration thread accounted patch as well?

    The results from smp nice I've received so far show that a 30% slowdown
    (instead of 5% on uniprocessor) occurs to high priority tasks in the presence
    of low priority tasks worst case scenario when the tasks sleep frequently.
    However excellent smp nice support with negligible slowdown occurs (ie nice
    is well respected) when the tasks are fully cpu bound. This suggests that
    what is happening on task wakeup is the limiting factor with this smp nice
    implementation. This makes sense given that most of the balancing occurs
    during busy rebalance when the queues are busy. I tried ignoring the length
    of queue (ie not having the single task running check for idle rebalance) and
    while this improved the nice effect substantially, it also cost us heavily in
    throughput making it unwarranted.

    Cheers,
    Con

      Last update: 2005-07-05 14:31    [W:0.023 / U:0.284 seconds]