SubjectRe: Power consumption HZ100, HZ250, HZ1000: new numbers
Hi!

> > > I really like having 250HZ as an _option_, but what I don't see is why
> > > it should be the _default_. I believe this is Lee's position as
> > > Last I checked, ACPI and CPU speed scaling were not enabled by default;
> >
> > Kernel defaults are irelevant; distros change them anyway. [But we
> > probably want to enable ACPI and cpufreq by default, because that
> > matches what 99% of users will use.]
> >

> If the kernel defaults are irrelevant, then it would make more sense to
> leave the default HZ as 1000 and not to enable the cpufreq and ACPI in
> order to keep with the principle of least surprise for people who do use
> kernel.org kernels.

Well, I'd say you want ACPI enabled. New machine do not even boot
without that. Default config should be usefull; set ACPI off, and
you'll not be able to even power machine down.
Pavel
--
if you have sharp zaurus hardware you don't need... you know my address