SubjectRe: Delete scheduler SD_WAKE_AFFINE and SD_WAKE_BALANCE flags
Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> Nick Piggin wrote on Thursday, July 28, 2005 7:01 PM

> This clearly outlines an issue with the implementation. Optimize for one
> type of workload has detrimental effect on another workload and vice versa.

Yep. That comes up fairly regularly when tuning the scheduler :(

> I won't try to compromise between the two. If you do so, we would end up
> with two half baked raw turkey. Making less aggressive load balance in the
> wake up path would probably reduce performance for the type of workload you
> quoted earlier and for db workload, we don't want any of them at all, not
> even the code to determine whether it should be balanced or not.

Well, that remains to be seen. If it can be made _smarter_, then you
may not have to take such a big compromise.

But either way, there will have to be some compromise made. At the
very least you have to find some acceptable default.

> Do you have an example workload you mentioned earlier that depends on
> SD_WAKE_BALANCE? I would like to experiment with it so we can move this
> forward instead of paper talk.

Well, you can easily see suboptimal scheduling decisions on many
programs with lots of interprocess communication. For example, tbench
on a dual Xeon:

processes 1 2 3 4

2.6.13-rc4: 187, 183, 179 260, 259, 256 340, 320, 349 504, 496, 500
no wake-bal: 180, 180, 177 254, 254, 253 268, 270, 348 345, 290, 500

Numbers are MB/s, higher is better.

Networking or other IO workloads where processes are tightly coupled
to a specific adapter / interrupt source can also see pretty good
gains.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.