    SubjectRe: [Alsa-devel] Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
    On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

    > On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Thorsten Knabe wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    >>> This patch schedules obsolete OSS drivers (with ALSA drivers that
    >>> support the same hardware) for removal.
    >> Hello Adrian.
    >> I'm the maintainer of the OSS AD1816 sound driver. I'm aware of two
    >> problems of the ALSA AD1816 driver, that do not show up with the OSS
    >> driver:
    >> - According to my own experience and user reports audio is choppy with
    >> some VoIP Softphones like gnophone at least when used with the ALSA
    >> OSS emulation layer, whereas the OSS driver is crystal clear.
    >> - Users reported, that on some HP Kayak systems the on-board AD1816A was
    >> not properly detected by the ALSA driver or was detected, but there
    >> was no audio output. I'm not sure if the problem is still present in
    >> the current ALSA driver, as I do not own such a system.
    >> Maybe the OSS driver should stay in the kernel, until those problems are
    >> fixed in the ALSA driver.
    > The problem is that nobody reported us mentioned problems. We have no
    > bug-report regarding the AD1816A driver. Perhaps, it would be a good idea
    > to add a notice to the help file and/or driver that the ALSA driver should
    > be tested and bugs reported to the ALSA bug-tracking-system.

    Hello Jaroslav.

    I'll do some testing during the upcoming weekend to confirm, that the
    mentioned problems still exist with the current ALSA release. Last time I
    checked was sometime around Linux 2.6.10. I'll file a bug report of my
    findings to the ALSA bug tracking system and contact the author of the
    driver. Initially I had not spent much time on those problems, because I
    had an alternative working OSS driver, but since removal of the OSS seems
    to get closer, it's probably time to fix these issues now.

    | | / E-Mail:
    |horsten |/\nabe WWW:

      Last update: 2005-07-29 18:05    [W:0.023 / U:1.748 seconds]