SubjectRe: [Alsa-devel] Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Thorsten Knabe wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>>
>>> This patch schedules obsolete OSS drivers (with ALSA drivers that
>>> support the same hardware) for removal.
>>
>> Hello Adrian.
>>
>> I'm the maintainer of the OSS AD1816 sound driver. I'm aware of two
>> problems of the ALSA AD1816 driver, that do not show up with the OSS
>> driver:
>> - According to my own experience and user reports audio is choppy with
>> some VoIP Softphones like gnophone at least when used with the ALSA
>> OSS emulation layer, whereas the OSS driver is crystal clear.
>> - Users reported, that on some HP Kayak systems the on-board AD1816A was
>> not properly detected by the ALSA driver or was detected, but there
>> was no audio output. I'm not sure if the problem is still present in
>> the current ALSA driver, as I do not own such a system.
>>
>> Maybe the OSS driver should stay in the kernel, until those problems are
>> fixed in the ALSA driver.
>
> The problem is that nobody reported us mentioned problems. We have no
> bug-report regarding the AD1816A driver. Perhaps, it would be a good idea
> to add a notice to the help file and/or driver that the ALSA driver should
> be tested and bugs reported to the ALSA bug-tracking-system.

Hello Jaroslav.

I'll do some testing during the upcoming weekend to confirm, that the
mentioned problems still exist with the current ALSA release. Last time I
checked was sometime around Linux 2.6.10. I'll file a bug report of my
findings to the ALSA bug tracking system and contact the author of the
driver. Initially I had not spent much time on those problems, because I
had an alternative working OSS driver, but since removal of the OSS seems
to get closer, it's probably time to fix these issues now.

Regards
Thorsten

--
___