SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal
At Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:38:37 +0200,
Zoran Dzelajlija wrote:

> Zach Brown <zab@zabbo.net> wrote:
> > Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > > This patch schedules obsolete OSS drivers (with ALSA drivers that
> > > support the same hardware) for removal.
>
> > > I've Cc'ed the people listed in MAINTAINERS as being responsible for one
> > > or more of these drivers, and I've also Cc'ed the ALSA people.
>
> > I haven't touched the maestro drivers in so long (for near-total lack of
> > docs, etc.) that I can't be considered authoritative for approving it's
> > removal. If people are relying on it I certainly don't know who they
> > are. In better news, Takashi should now have the pile of maestro
> > hardware that I used in the first pass to help him maintain the ALSA
> > driver..
>
> The OSS maestro driver works better on my old Armada E500 laptop. I tried
> ALSA after switching to 2.6, but the computer hung with 2.6.8.1 or 2.6.10 if
> I touched the volume buttons. With OSS they just work. The four separate
> dsp devices also look kind of more useful.

The bug around h/w volume control should have been fixed in the recent
version of ALSA drivers. Hopefully everything will get merged into
2.6.13...

Takashi

  Last update: 2005-07-28 10:22    [W:0.316 / U:1.356 seconds]