    SubjectRe: Alternative to TIF_FREEZE -> a notifier in the task_struct?

    > This could be used to have a process execute any other piece that is
    > required to run in the context of the thread. Maybe such a feature could
    > help with PTRACE or/and get_user_pages that currently do ugly things to a
    > process. It may also allow changing values that so far cannot be
    > changed from the outside in the task struct by running a function
    > in the context of the process.

    Well, we really need slightly more from "running in process context":
    we also need "no locks held" for swsusp. (But other uses probably do,

    > Here is a patch against Linus current tree that does this. Note that this
    > patch is incomplete at this point and only a basis for further discussion.
    > Not all software suspend checkpoints are useful for a notifier chain. We
    > would need to inspect several cases where drivers/kernel threads have
    > special functionality for software suspend.

    I guess I'd prefer if you left "refrigerator()" and "try_to_freeze()"
    functions in; there are about 1000 drivers that know/use them, and
    some patches are probably in the queue....

    teflon -- maybe it is a trademark, but it should not be.

      Last update: 2005-07-28 09:44    [W:0.032 / U:34.728 seconds]