SubjectRe: Giving developers clue how many testers verified certain kernel version
On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 08:45:16PM +0200, Martin MOKREJ? wrote:

> Hi Adrian,

Hi Martin,

> well, the idea was to give you a clue how many people did NOT complain
> because it either worked or they did not realize/care. The goal
> was different. For example, I have 2 computers and both need current acpi
> patch to work fine. I went to bugzilla and found nobody has filed such bugs
> before - so I did and said it is already fixed in current acpi patch.
> But you'd never know that I tested that successfully. And I don't believe
> to get emails from lkml that I installed a patch and it did not break
> anything. I hope you get the idea now. ;)

in your ACPI example there is a bug/problem (ACPI needs updating).

And ACPI is a good example where even 1000 success reports wouldn't help
because a slightly different hardware or BIOS version might make the
difference.

Usually "no bug report" indicates that something is OK.
And if you are unsure whether an unusual setup or hardware is actually
tested, it's usually the best to ask on linux-kernel whether someone
could test it.

> Martin

cu
Adrian