    SubjectRe: kernel debugging
    On 7/24/05, UmaMaheswari Devi <> wrote:
    > I am new to kernel hacking and am facing problems in trying to peek at the
    > runtime values of some kernel variables using gdb.
    > I am issuing the gdb command as follows:
    > gdb vmlinux /proc/kcore
    > This displays the message
    > /proc/kcore: Operation not permitted
    > before the (gdb) prompt is displayed.
    > gdb then prints a value of 0 for any valid variable that is requested.
    > vmlinux appears to be OK, as gdb correctly identifies undefined variables.
    > The problem seems to be with /proc/kcore. This file has a permission of 400. I
    > am using the Red Hat distribution.
    > Any help is appreciated.
    If you want to use gdb to debug the kernel you should probably
    investigate UML (User Mode Linux). Take a look at this link :

    Alternatives include kgdb -
    and kdb -

    You can also find many documents on Linux Kernel debugging aids and
    techniques via google.

    Jesper Juhl <>
    Don't top-post
    Plain text mails only, please

      Last update: 2005-07-24 16:05    [W:0.022 / U:8.820 seconds]