    SubjectRe: kernel debugging
    On 7/24/05, UmaMaheswari Devi <uma@cs.unc.edu> wrote:
    > I am new to kernel hacking and am facing problems in trying to peek at the
    > runtime values of some kernel variables using gdb.
    >
    > I am issuing the gdb command as follows:
    > gdb vmlinux /proc/kcore
    > This displays the message
    > /proc/kcore: Operation not permitted
    > before the (gdb) prompt is displayed.
    > gdb then prints a value of 0 for any valid variable that is requested.
    >
    > vmlinux appears to be OK, as gdb correctly identifies undefined variables.
    > The problem seems to be with /proc/kcore. This file has a permission of 400. I
    > am using the Red Hat distribution.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.

    If you want to use gdb to debug the kernel you should probably
    investigate UML (User Mode Linux). Take a look at this link :
    http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/debugging.html

    Alternatives include kgdb - http://kgdb.sourceforge.net/
    and kdb - http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/

    You can also find many documents on Linux Kernel debugging aids and
    techniques via google.

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>