SubjectRe: kernel page size explanation
Hi, Jesper,

RE:
> > 2. how can one tune it (for 2.6.*)?
>
> For some archs the page size can be set at compile-time with
> CONFIG_PAGE_SIZE_4KB, CONFIG_PAGE_SIZE_8KB etc - mips is an example of
> such an arch (also take a look at CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE and friends).

OK, now i figured it out. On AMD opteron 64 bit processors the only
option is the default: 4Kb. For itanium and mips, indeed, there are
multiple options. My CPUs are opteron 64 bit ones; that is why i was
not able to find this feature (of tuning it).

> > How can i figure out the page size of the kernel i am currently using?
> >
> You can
> A) look in the .config file for your current kernel (if your arch
> supports different page sizes at all).

Not there.

> C) You can look at /proc/cpuinfo or /proc/meminfo , IIRC some archs
> report page size there - not quite sure, can't remember...

Probably not in meminfo, but possibly in cpuinfo:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
TLB size : 1024 4K pages

cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal: 4010956 kB
MemFree: 3848060 kB
Buffers: 0 kB
Cached: 45696 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 90432 kB
Inactive: 4820 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 4010956 kB
LowFree: 3848060 kB
SwapTotal: 7823576 kB
SwapFree: 7823352 kB
Dirty: 20 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
Mapped: 78668 kB
Slab: 46216 kB
CommitLimit: 9829052 kB
Committed_AS: 142036 kB
PageTables: 3252 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed: 5724 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359732179 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB

Cheers
Gaspar

  Last update: 2005-07-24 00:21    [W:0.060 / U:0.732 seconds]