SubjectRe: Kernel doesn't free Cached Memory
On Gwe, 2005-07-22 at 08:27 -0300, Vinicius wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have a server with 2 Pentium 4 HT processors and 32 GB of RAM, this
> server runs lots of applications that consume lots of memory to. When I stop
> this applications, the kernel doesn't free memory (the memory still in use)

See any FAQ on the Linux memory management - memory is reclaimed when
needed not when nobody is using it. That makes things more efficient.

> and the server cache lots of memory (~27GB). When I start this applications,
> the kernel sends "Out of Memory" messages and kill some random
> applications.

Some RHEL3 kernels had a problem with very large memory sizes and 2.4.
That should not be the case in the current RHEL3 kernels. 2.6 handles
very large systems a lot lot better, and of course the fact real
computers now have 64bit processors has also rather improved life.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-07-22 16:29    [W:0.043 / U:0.316 seconds]