    SubjectRe: 2.6.13-rc3-mm1 (ckrm)
    On Gwe, 2005-07-22 at 12:35 -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:
    > I imagine you, like me, are currently sitting in the Xen talk,

    Out by a few thousand miles ;)

    > and I don't believe they are or will do anything so dumb as to throw away
    > or lose information. yes, in principle, the logic will need to be

    They don't have it in the first place.

    > somewhere, and I'm suggesting that the virtualization logic should
    > be in VMM-only code so it has literally zero effect on host-native
    > processes. *or* the host-native fast-path.

    I don't see why you are concerned. If the CKRM=n path is zero impact
    then its irrelevant to you. Its more expensive to do a lot of resource
    management at the VMM level because the virtualisation engine doesn't
    know anything but its getting indications someone wants to be
    bigger/smaller.

    > but to really do CKRM, you are going to want quite extensive interaction with
    > the scheduler, VM page replacement policies, etc. all incredibly
    > performance-sensitive areas.

    Bingo - and areas the virtualiser can't see into, at least not unless it
    uses the same hooks CKRM uses

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-07-22 21:06    [W:0.022 / U:154.900 seconds]