SubjectRe: [Clusters_sig] RE: [Linux-cluster] Re: [Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] nodemanager, ocfs2, dlm
On 2005-07-20T11:39:38, Joel Becker <> wrote:

> In turn, let me clarify a little where configfs fits in to
> things. Configfs is merely a convenient and transparent method to
> communicate configuration to kernel objects. It's not a place for
> uevents, for netlink sockets, or for fancy communication. It allows
> userspace to create an in-kernel object and set/get values on that
> object. It also allows userspace and kernelspace to share the same
> representation of that object and its values.
> For more complex interaction, sysfs and procfs are often more
> appropriate. While you might "configure" all known nodes in configfs,
> the node up/down state might live in sysfs. A netlink socket for
> up/down events might live in procfs. And so on.

Right. Thanks for the clarification and elaboration, for I am sure
not entirely clear as to how all these mechanisms relate in detail and
what is appropriate just where, and when to use something more classic
like ioctl etc... ;-)

FWIW, we didn't mean to get uevents out via configfs of course.

Lars Marowsky-Brée <>

High Availability & Clustering
SUSE Labs, Research and Development
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - A Novell Business -- Charles Darwin