    SubjectRe: [Clusters_sig] RE: [Linux-cluster] Re: [Ocfs2-devel] [RFC] nodemanager, ocfs2, dlm
    On 2005-07-20T11:39:38, Joel Becker <> wrote:

    > In turn, let me clarify a little where configfs fits in to
    > things. Configfs is merely a convenient and transparent method to
    > communicate configuration to kernel objects. It's not a place for
    > uevents, for netlink sockets, or for fancy communication. It allows
    > userspace to create an in-kernel object and set/get values on that
    > object. It also allows userspace and kernelspace to share the same
    > representation of that object and its values.
    > For more complex interaction, sysfs and procfs are often more
    > appropriate. While you might "configure" all known nodes in configfs,
    > the node up/down state might live in sysfs. A netlink socket for
    > up/down events might live in procfs. And so on.

    Right. Thanks for the clarification and elaboration, for I am sure
    not entirely clear as to how all these mechanisms relate in detail and
    what is appropriate just where, and when to use something more classic
    like ioctl etc... ;-)

    FWIW, we didn't mean to get uevents out via configfs of course.

    Lars Marowsky-Brée <>

    High Availability & Clustering
    SUSE Labs, Research and Development
    SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - A Novell Business -- Charles Darwin

      Last update: 2005-07-22 01:25    [W:0.021 / U:2.088 seconds]