    SubjectRe: Synaptics and TrackPoint problems in 2.6.12
    On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:05:13AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > On 7/20/05, Sergey Vlasov <vsu@altlinux.ru> wrote:
    > > Another option is to change the
    > > PSMOUSE_TRACKPOINT value so that it is less than PSMOUSE_GENPS,
    >
    > No, protocol numbers should not be changed as userspace drivers/setups
    > check them and rely on them being stable.

    Found that now:

    psmouse->dev.id.product = psmouse->type;

    So the type is visible through the input device interface. Probably this
    should be mentioned in a comment near "enum psmouse_type" - its definition
    in drivers/input/mouse/psmouse.h looks just like some driver-internal
    enum.

    > > In theory, someone could attach a device which uses 6-byte packets to
    > > the Synaptics pass-thru port; I'm not sure what would happen in this
    > > case, but with Synaptics confugured for 3-byte packets (as the patch
    > > below will do) this configuration even has a chance of working.
    >
    > I don't think it can support more than 4 byte packets. bytes 0 and 3
    > are protocol markers and can't be readily used for transmitting other
    > protocols data.

    At least the Synaptics protocol description mentions that its 6-byte
    protocol was designed to look like two 3-byte PS/2 mouse packets, so that
    it would work even if the controller looks at those markers; other such
    protocols are likely to have the same property for the same reason. Now,
    if the Synaptics touchpad would be able to accept a 6-byte packet from the
    pass-thru port as two 3-byte packets...

      Last update: 2005-07-20 17:48    [W:0.019 / U:61.400 seconds]