SubjectRe: updating kernel to 2.6.13-rc1 from 2.6.12 + CONFIG_DEVFS_FS + empty /dev
Greg KH wrote:

> Why? Why not put it in ROM with your kernel image, look at how the
> kernel build process does it with the "built-in" initramfs.

Well, nowadays, most system have only flash because ROM does not enable
to do firmware upgrade. Second, putting it in the kernel or as a
separate flash section or in an initrd does not change the problem :
something has to be stored on non volatile memory whereas you do not
need that for devfs (except devfs code itself of course) but then you
have udev instead of devfs...

> I boot my boxes with nothing in /dev and have been for almost a year
> now. udev works just fine for this, and so do some other programs that
> work like udev does.

Nothing in /dev but with initramfs. Same cost...

BTW : valette@tri-yann->df /dev
tmpfs 10240 2876 7364 29% /dev

2 MB RAM on my PC??? I must be missing something.

Thanks for your time nayway.

-- eric

  Last update: 2005-07-02 09:25    [W:0.145 / U:0.264 seconds]