    SubjectRe: Thread_Id

    > So then what is the meaning of that typedef and why its still there ?

    the typedef means that the *IMPLEMENTATION* uses an unsigned long to
    store its cookie in.

    > >Other implementations are allowed to use different types for this. In
    > >fact, I'd be surprised if NPTL and LinuxThreads would have the same
    > >type... (they'll have the same size for ABI compat reasons of course,
    > >but type... not so sure).
    > >

    > I haven't faced the same returns with 2.4.18. So why is it so with 2.6.x
    > kernels ? pthread_self() on 2.4.18 was returning the same as gettid()
    > with 2.6.x.

    pure luck. NPTL threading uses it to store a pointer to per thread info
    structure; other threading (linuxthreads) may have stored a pid there to
    identify the internal thread. nptl is 2.6 only so you might have
    switched implementation of threading when you switched kernels.

      Last update: 2005-07-14 14:30    [W:0.028 / U:12.012 seconds]