SubjectRE: Merging relayfs?
I believe the Intel tool that Vara is referencing is the Vtune tool
(which has an open source, GPL'ed statistical sampling driver). It keeps
a trace history (instead of aggregating the data) that is passed into
user space so that it can do post processing analysis from user space.
The most common method of aggregating data for sampling/profiling is to
lose the time information of when a sample is taken (for example, that
is what oprofile does). For many people, this is fine. For others, they
want the time information so they can visualize the sequence of events.

Having relayfs merged into the kernel would allow us to have a
consistent and reliable way of passing the data we need from kernel
space into user space.

In essence, relayfs is a basic infrastructure upon which other tools can
be built - whether that's profiling, debugging, logging, etc.

-- charles

  Last update: 2005-07-13 10:17    [W:0.038 / U:0.036 seconds]