    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins

    > > Could you please explain in plain english? The only part I get out is
    > > "propietary API", and I don't see anybody advocating such here.

    Proprietary was a poor choice of words on my part.

    > I don't understand it much, but I think the point being made is that
    > So, for instance, if I want to grab all mp3s with Artist "Paul
    > Oakenfold" and change the genre to "techno" (can you do that?), I can
    > use Beagle's search tool to find all mp3s by Oakenfold, but to change
    > the genre, I have to use some separate tool to manipulate id3 tags,

    Yes, this is basically what I was getting at, although I was thinking
    more in terms of the reiser5/6/whatever set theoretic semantics, which,
    from my point of view at least, reiser4 is simply the first step towards
    building the enabling infrastructure of. But the fact that reiser4
    semantics + trivial shell scripting enables, as illustrated by David,
    the rough equivalent of set-theoretic semantics, demonstrates how
    reiser4 is in fact a step in this direction.

    > > moment the case of system-wide or network-wide shared data,
    > I.e., something like 90% of the use of Linux here. OK.

    90% of *what* exactly? 90% of what machines deal with, or 90% of what
    humans interact with?

    > > users needs. In fact, I believe there is currently a JSR in
    > > progress to develop a more sophisticated Java packaging model.
    > Presumably based on ReiserFS 4, which then has to be ported to
    > whatever platform you want to run Java on ASAP? Great for you! Wait a
    > bit, and you'll get what you want then, even across the board!

    No, obviously that's not what I was saying. But the need for these kinds
    of domain-specific packaging/metadata formats, each requiring their own
    tools to work with, would be alleviated if there were simply a more
    powerful filesystem semantic. Clearly forcing reiser on the world is a
    non-starter, but try extending your imagination a little bit to a future
    in which there's a 'new POSIX' specifying a set-theoretic filesystem
    model. So-called 'database-filesystems' ARE coming, whether from
    Microsoft, Apple, or us. Who gets there first will determine who gets to
    make the rules.

      Last update: 2005-07-01 22:34    [W:0.021 / U:15.436 seconds]