SubjectRe: ipw2100: firmware problem
Hi!

> >I'm fighting with firmware problem: if ipw2100 is compiled into
> >kernel, it is loaded while kernel boots and firmware loader is not yet
> >available. That leads to uninitialized (=> useless) adapter.
> >

> We've been looking into whether the initrd can have the firmware affixed
> to the end w/ some magic bytes to identify it. If it works, enhancing
> the request_firmware to support both hotplug and an initrd approach may
> be reasonable.

That seems pretty ugly to me... imagine more than one driver does this
:-(.

> >What's the prefered way to solve this one? Only load firmware when
> >user does ifconfig eth1 up? [It is wifi, it looks like it would be
> >better to start firmware sooner so that it can associate to the
> >AP...].
> >

> The debate goes back and forth on whether devices should come up only
> after they are told, or initialize and start looking for a network as
> soon as the module is loaded.
>
> I lean more toward having the driver just do what it is told, defaulting
> to trying to scan and associate so link is ready as soon as possible.
> We've added module parameters to change that behavior (disable and
> associate for the ipw2100).

Having a parameter to control this seems a bit too complex to me.

How is

insmod ipw2100 enable=1

different from

insmod ipw2100
iwconfig eth1 start_scanning_or_whatever

?

Pavel

  Last update: 2005-06-08 23:32    [W:0.188 / U:0.492 seconds]