    SubjectDell BIOS and HPET timer support
    After several communications with Dell support I have determined that
    most Dell BIOSs don't include the ACPI entry for the HPET timer. The
    official reason for this is that no version of Windows uses the HPET
    and adding the ACPI entry might cause compatibility problems.

    So I added this to force the HPET on:
    extern unsigned long hpet_address;
    hpet_address = 0xfed00000ULL;

    Now my HPET seems to be working:
    hpet0: at MMIO 0xfed00000, IRQs 2, 8, 0
    hpet0: 0ns tick, 3 64-bit timers
    Using HPET for base-timer
    Using HPET for gettimeofday

    What does the 0ns tick mean, is this bad? Is there any way to verify
    my HPET is working correctly? My date/time is advancing.

    If my HPET is working correctly is it ok to add a probe to find the timer?

    --
    Jon Smirl
    jonsmirl@gmail.com