SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.12-rc6
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 08:28:45AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Erik Mouw wrote:
> > > Linus Torvalds:
> > > Linux 2.6.12-rc6
> > > Automatic merge of 'misc-fixes' branch from
> >
> > ... from what?
>
> Yeah, I guess I need to redo my merge messages. Or alternatively, I should
> just remove merges from the shortlog.
>
> The merge message that goes along with that shortlog entry is
>
> Author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@ppc970.osdl.org>
> Date: Sat Jun 4 08:18:39 2005 -0700
>
> Automatic merge of 'misc-fixes' branch from
>
> rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6
>
> which is pretty readable in the long format, but causes the shortlog to
> pick up just the partial (largely uninteresing) first line.

Fair enough.

> Removing merges from the shortlog is actually likely the _right_ thing to
> do, since we already miss a lot of merges: any truly trivial merge (ie no
> parallellism) is invisible anyway, except that the committer changed.
> Besides, it's what the old BK changelogs did.
>
> So I guess I'll leave the merge message as is (unless somebody can suggest
> a more readable format), and just update my release scripts to not include
> merge messages.

Well, it's nice to know which repos you pulled from for a particular
release, that makes it easier to figure out what's wrong if/when
something breaks.

> > > Automatic merge of rsync://www.parisc-linux.org/~jejb/git/scsi-for-linus-2.6
> > > Automatic merge of rsync://rsync.kernel.org/.../davem/net-2.6
> >
> > And this again works.
>
> That's because they don't have branches - when I take the HEAD of the
> repostitory, the changelog entry ends up being just a one-liner again.

Isn't the easy fix to put the long changelog information on a single
line?

Erik
[blissfully ignorant about git internals]

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.nl -- 0800 220 20 20 --