SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.12-rc6
On 6/6/05, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > There is "From: Dmitry..." in the changelog. Do your script move first
> > "From:" into author header and delete it from changelog? That would
> > explain it...
>
> Yes. But note how it doesn't even take the "first" From: line, it
> literally takes the From: line _only_ if that line is the first line in
> the email body.

A lot of times I see mails getting forwarded to you/Andrew/other
maintainer by someone without adding a From: or other indication of
who was the original author, but in almost all cases the original
author is the one listed as the first Signed-off-by: since authors are
the first to sign off on a patch, so, wouldn't it make more sense to
pick the author like this ;

1) If there's a "From:" at the start of the email, use that (note: a
lot of times this actually breaks since From: is often set by
maintainers to the person who forwarded the mail, not the actual
author, but that's a matter of educating maintainers).

2) if there's no "From:" in the mail body, pick first "signed-off-by:"

3) Fall back on email headers.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>