    SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.12-rc6
    On 6/6/05, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

    > On Mon, 6 Jun 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > >
    > > There is "From: Dmitry..." in the changelog. Do your script move first
    > > "From:" into author header and delete it from changelog? That would
    > > explain it...
    >
    > Yes. But note how it doesn't even take the "first" From: line, it
    > literally takes the From: line _only_ if that line is the first line in
    > the email body.

    A lot of times I see mails getting forwarded to you/Andrew/other
    maintainer by someone without adding a From: or other indication of
    who was the original author, but in almost all cases the original
    author is the one listed as the first Signed-off-by: since authors are
    the first to sign off on a patch, so, wouldn't it make more sense to
    pick the author like this ;

    1) If there's a "From:" at the start of the email, use that (note: a
    lot of times this actually breaks since From: is often set by
    maintainers to the person who forwarded the mail, not the actual
    author, but that's a matter of educating maintainers).

    2) if there's no "From:" in the mail body, pick first "signed-off-by:"

    3) Fall back on email headers.

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>