SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6.12-rc5 : repeatable modprobe usb-storage hang
Date
On Saturday 04 June 2005 15:12, David Brownell wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2005 10:41 am, Parag Warudkar wrote:
> > Also interesting is this line -
> > [ 40.586298] ohci_hcd 0000:00:02.0: Unlink after no-IRQ? Controller is
> > probably using the wrong IRQ.
>
> So did you investigate these IRQ setup problem, or just ignore
> that pointed diagnostic?

Adding to the weirdness is that it happens infrequently - most of the times it
works fine and I see no such error messages. I have ignored it till now. I
will see if acpi=noirq helps.

> Controllers are not expected to behave if their drivers aren't given
> the correct IRQ. In particular, when software needs to wait until
> the hardware reports it's finished with something, and the hardware
> never reports that (== never issues the IRQ) then things may hang.

The ohci-hcd hang problem might be related to this. (Load of ohci-hcd with a
storage device attached to the controller always hangs machine for 2 minutes
- hang occurs in pci_enable_device())

> Also this earlier line already identified a potential root cause:
> > [   38.927690] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:02.0[P]: no GSI - using IRQ 11
>
> This could be a problem in either the tables BIOS provided, or in the
> way ACPI is interpreting them, or something else ... I'm not an ACPI guru.

Most likely this is a ACPI oddity - If BIOS was wrong it would have happened
all the times. The above "no GSI" thing happens only some times and looks
like that's when things won't work.

> You should be experimenting with ways to get the right IRQ assigned to this
> controller; such problems are common enough that there are probably half a
> dozen boot options affecting what happens. Or maybe look at BIOS options
> that affect that controller; you might need to update your board's BIOS
> firmware.
>
> - Dave
Thanks for all the pointers. I will start with acpi=noirq and see. My BIOS
firmware is up2date.

Parag

--
Mac Beer: At first, came only a 16-oz. can, but now comes in a 32-oz.
can. Considered by many to be a "light" beer. All the cans look