    SubjectRe: Linux does not care for data integrity
    Lennart Sorensen wrote:

    >On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:00:34AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >>Unfortunately even drives in a dual power tray with redundany power from
    >>separate UPS sources will occasionally have a power failure. Proved that
    >>last month, the power strip in the rack failed, dumped all the load on
    >>the other leg, the surge tripped a breaker. Had an APC UPS in my office
    >>fail in a mode which dropped power, waited for the battery to trickle
    >>charge to charge the battery a bit, then repeat. Looks to be losing half
    >>of a full wave rectifier.
    >>The point is that power failures WILL HAPPEN, even with good backups.
    >>The goal should be to prevent excessive and avoidable data damage when
    >>it does.
    >>Shameless plug: for office use I changed from APC to Belkin on all new
    >>units, they have had Linux drivers for some time now, and I like to
    >>support those who support Linux.
    >Hasn't apcupsd existed for at least a decade? Works rather well for me.
    >Hard to imagine better linux/unix support than APC seems to have
    >provided so far.

    I thought apcuspd was a third party project, sourceforce shows it as a
    project. Didn't know APC was actually "providing" anything, is the
    driver on the CD now? Sure wasn't on the APC CD I had, I did have it at
    one time, but it didn't come with the UPS (at that time).

    >For some reason Belkin screms cheap junk to me. Maybe that's because
    >that is what you always see for sale with that brand on it. They may
    >have nice stuff that I just haven't seen because it isn't carried by
    >most stores.
    You don't have Staples or Wal-Mart? Office Max did drop the UPS, the
    local store manager said the issue was margin, hadn't had enough returns
    on either brand to be meaningful.

    bill davidsen <>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc

      Last update: 2005-06-04 15:41    [W:0.022 / U:21.292 seconds]