SubjectRe: Linux does not care for data integrity
Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 08:00:34AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>

>>Unfortunately even drives in a dual power tray with redundany power from
>>separate UPS sources will occasionally have a power failure. Proved that
>>last month, the power strip in the rack failed, dumped all the load on
>>the other leg, the surge tripped a breaker. Had an APC UPS in my office
>>fail in a mode which dropped power, waited for the battery to trickle
>>charge to charge the battery a bit, then repeat. Looks to be losing half
>>of a full wave rectifier.
>>
>>The point is that power failures WILL HAPPEN, even with good backups.
>>The goal should be to prevent excessive and avoidable data damage when
>>it does.
>>
>>Shameless plug: for office use I changed from APC to Belkin on all new
>>units, they have had Linux drivers for some time now, and I like to
>>support those who support Linux.
>>

>Hasn't apcupsd existed for at least a decade? Works rather well for me.
>Hard to imagine better linux/unix support than APC seems to have
>provided so far.

I thought apcuspd was a third party project, sourceforce shows it as a
project. Didn't know APC was actually "providing" anything, is the
driver on the CD now? Sure wasn't on the APC CD I had, I did have it at
one time, but it didn't come with the UPS (at that time).

>For some reason Belkin screms cheap junk to me. Maybe that's because
>that is what you always see for sale with that brand on it. They may
>have nice stuff that I just haven't seen because it isn't carried by
>most stores.

You don't have Staples or Wal-Mart? Office Max did drop the UPS, the
local store manager said the issue was margin, hadn't had enough returns
on either brand to be meaningful.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc