SubjectRe: reiser4 vs politics: linux misses out again
On 06/30/05 07:02:44PM +0300, Markus   Törnqvist wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 11:33:26AM -0400, Jim Crilly wrote:
>
> >> I label according to the observed effect. I haven't read the code.
> >Of course not, it's not like the code actually matters, right?
>
> As for Reiser4, they're fixing the code now to look more Linuxy
> and all's well.
>
> The discussion is "Should the VFS be extended to support files-as-dirs
> or data objects by using what we already have in Reiser4 in -mm, although
> disabled."
>
> >So? Most of the complaints about Linux on the desktop are userland
> >problems. Adding cool features to the kernel won't make a big difference,
> >if for no other reason than it will take a long time for support to make it
> >into things like Gnome and KDE. And that's if they choose to support them,
>
> And people who'd like to use something lighter than Gnome or KDE
> and still use these nice features?

Then work with whatever WM you want to help them support what makes sense
for them. For instance, I use Enlightenment but most of the crap proposed
in Reiser4 doesn't make sense for E because there's no filemanager or
anything. The image thumbnails in metadata might be nice, but I wouldn't
throw a fit if the current runtime generated thumbnails were still used.

> >they have to support other OSes as well and adding support for features
> >that are Linux-specific isn't to be taken lightly, especially since these
> >would be less than Linux-specific, they would be tied to a single
> >filesystem on Linux.
>
> They would not be tied to a single filesystem, naturally, I think
> we can all agree that case is closed, as it'll just spawn another
> waste-of-time flamewar.

Nothing has happened so far, once the VFS extensions are laid out,
documented and implemented we can begin to start saying that some of the
features are fs agnostic.

> >> Someone shoulda simply forked it then. When Hans first said 'replace VFS with
> >> reiser4'. I doubt he could have done it by himself ... they (trolls) would
> [...]
> >He can still do that, nothing is stopping him from forking Reisux and
> >trying to woo developers.
>
> It'd be much better to talk this thing through..
> There have been pretty good arguments for the extended VFS, that it
> would be doable. It may just be less of a unix after that, or less
> of Linux as we know it now.

I'm not advocating a fork, I just think it's stupid that so many people
have been saying "Stop arguing, just accept reiser4 as-is because it's
fast and cool!!!!"

> The circular reasoning "We don't want Reiser4's files-as-dirs in
> before they're tested. We also have them disabled by default.
> They should not be implemented on this layer here, but we won't
> let you touch our VFS." is bad.
>
> Surely if the things started to go into the VFS in a separate,
> official tree, it'd no longer be just Namesys doing the work.
>
> >And what is better for Linux? It's all about perspective and the people on
> >this mailing list have to maintain the kernel from a developer's standpoint
> >and if they start accepting every new feature regardless of complexity,
> >maintainability, etc the kernel will become a nightmare.
>
> The filesystem is tested well enough to go in. For real.
> It may not be production stable with immediacy but it is tested.

People have been saying the same thing about reiser3 for years and yet
every time I break down and try it again for whatever reason I find a nice
new corner case that causes me headaches and usually ends up in me going
back to ext3 or XFS.

> The extended semantics are a separate matter.
>
> >And what happens in 2 years when Hans posts about reiser5 fixing all of the
> >bad things about reiser4 and that reiser5 should be merged ASAP so that
> >everyone can upgrade again?
>
> Then someone steps up and goes "No, shut the fuck up and fix the code,
> we gave you your shot" or something.
>
> Community pressure.

Right, because Hans is so damned receptive.

> And it'll be a lot easier with the new VFS.

I'm not buying it, but only time will tell.

> >And you're asking the kernel devs to get a wider scope on life? It sounds
> >like you're not even living in the same reality that I am.
>
> Sometimes it also seems people would much rather shout at each
> other than see that reasons are starting to pop up why Linux
> could lose popularity.

I don't disagree, there are many aspects of each section of a Linux distro
where decisions can affect how Linux is perceived by current and new users.
But IMO not letting reiser4 in, in it's current state, isn't going to send
a bunch of Linux users running to get Macs.

> I accidentally deleted the paragraph with you saying the page
> reads like a commercial.
>
> I half agree, Hans has written that well, but maybe for
> people who would pay him money to do his work.
> Therefore some of the stuff is a bit obscure. Like what is now
> Reiser4.1 (ie. ..metas/ whatever, I believe) is apparently referred
> to as Reiser6 there.

I understand why he wants to have his marketing pages and I don't care if
they exist, but you would think he would also want to have some SDK-type
pages where it explains the new features, the "plug-in" API and such.

> It'd be damned nice to see that page revisited a bit, maybe not much,
> but getting the names straight and having one of the tech guys write
> tech documentation that's clearly accessible.
>
> That page does still not change the situation that the code exists
> to some extent, which could be merged to the VFS layer by
> extending it a bit and this would be easiest done in a tree that
> people will want to hack on.

But if big VFS changes are going to happen, I doubt anyone would want to
make them in -linus or -mm because there's probably going to be a lot of
initial breakage. Maybe this would be a good reason to fork 2.7?

> And frankly this amount of tautology is starting to get even
> on my nerves :)

I agree, it was interesting for the first few days but now most of the
threads have gone so far OT that it's just stupid.

> --
> mjt

Jim.