SubjectRe: kmalloc without GFP_xxx?

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> There are cases where using spin_lock instead of _irqsave version is a
> matter of correctness. For example, the page table lock beeing always
> taking without _irq is important to let the IPIs flow.

There's always exceptions! ;-)

As Jörn mentioned, you don't just use spin_lock_irqsave just to keep from
thinking, which I totally agree, but most of the time I use spin_locks, it
is better to not let interrupts flow, and for this reason, I try to keep
the places that use spin_locks as short as possible, since I don't want
100ms latencies.

-- Steve

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans