    SubjectRe: kmalloc without GFP_xxx?

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

    > There are cases where using spin_lock instead of _irqsave version is a
    > matter of correctness. For example, the page table lock beeing always
    > taking without _irq is important to let the IPIs flow.

    There's always exceptions! ;-)

    As Jörn mentioned, you don't just use spin_lock_irqsave just to keep from
    thinking, which I totally agree, but most of the time I use spin_locks, it
    is better to not let interrupts flow, and for this reason, I try to keep
    the places that use spin_locks as short as possible, since I don't want
    100ms latencies.

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2005-06-30 08:07    [W:0.019 / U:4.096 seconds]