    SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
    Date
    On Jun 28, 2005, at 15:32:56, David Masover wrote:
    > Hubert Chan wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:01:12 -0400, Kyle Moffett
    >> <mrmacman_g4@mac.com> said:
    >>> I don't disagree with the thumbnail/icon/description, but things
    >>> like
    >>> POSIX acls and extended attributes have _existing_ interfaces which
    >>> should be used.
    >
    > Any existing interface should be supported, but Reiser4 seems to
    > want to
    > replace all existing interfaces except a direct open() and a proposed
    > new system call which opens lots of small files at once, efficiently.
    >
    > The two approaches are not mutually exclusive, though.

    I don't think most kernel developers are likely to favor an approach
    which smashes a bunch of unrelated data together. Linux syscall
    overhead is incredibly low, so I don't see it being much of a problem.
    On the other hand, a simple syscall which smashes together a bunch of
    related data would not be that big of an issue either. Let's wait for
    Namesys to tinker and come back with a new patch before commenting
    further.

    Cheers,
    Kyle Moffett

    --
    Somone asked me why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
    software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best

    "Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
    because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't.
    That's why
    I draw cartoons. It's my life."
    -- Charles Shultz

      Last update: 2005-06-28 22:19    [W:0.021 / U:34.668 seconds]