SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
On Jun 28, 2005, at 15:32:56, David Masover wrote:
> Hubert Chan wrote:
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:01:12 -0400, Kyle Moffett
>> <> said:
>>> I don't disagree with the thumbnail/icon/description, but things
>>> like
>>> POSIX acls and extended attributes have _existing_ interfaces which
>>> should be used.
> Any existing interface should be supported, but Reiser4 seems to
> want to
> replace all existing interfaces except a direct open() and a proposed
> new system call which opens lots of small files at once, efficiently.
> The two approaches are not mutually exclusive, though.

I don't think most kernel developers are likely to favor an approach
which smashes a bunch of unrelated data together. Linux syscall
overhead is incredibly low, so I don't see it being much of a problem.
On the other hand, a simple syscall which smashes together a bunch of
related data would not be that big of an issue either. Let's wait for
Namesys to tinker and come back with a new patch before commenting

Kyle Moffett

Somone asked me why I work on this free (
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't.
That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life."
-- Charles Shultz