SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins

Hubert Chan wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:01:12 -0400, Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@mac.com> said:
>

>>On Jun 28, 2005, at 01:30:08, Hubert Chan wrote:

>>> One of the claimed advantages of the '...' interface is that
>>>everything is editable as a file. So if someone wanted to edit the
>>>description extended attribute for foo.txt, he would just run
>>>"[editor] foo.txt/.../description" (or "[editor]
>>>/meta/fs/$(getattrpath foo.txt)/description"), instead of needing to
>>>use some special purpose editor. It works well for things like being
>>>able to use Gimp to edit a thumbnail or icon attribute.
>

>>I don't disagree with the thumbnail/icon/description, but things like
>>POSIX acls and extended attributes have _existing_ interfaces which
>>should be used.

Any existing interface should be supported, but Reiser4 seems to want to
replace all existing interfaces except a direct open() and a proposed
new system call which opens lots of small files at once, efficiently.

The two approaches are not mutually exclusive, though.

> OK. I agree with that. Of course, Reiser4 can always present both
> interfaces, just like it presented two interfaces to the stat data --
> the regular interface and the metas (now '...') interface -- before
> file-as-dir got disabled by default.

The proposal I like right now is /meta, as a separate FS, which provides
access to what would be the '...' interface. Check the archives.

>>I don't deny them the right to add other interfaces later, but such
>>should be a secondary or tertiary patch, after the rest of the stuff
>>is in. In any case, if we were to provide an interface by which one
>>could $EDITOR the POSIX ACLs, it should be done in the VFS where all
>>filesystems can share it.
>

> I don't know if VFS is the right place for it, but I agree that it would
> be good to make it accessible to all filesystems.

You put it in /meta, which is available to all filesystems.

>>I think that part of Reiser4 needs more review than it's been given at
>>present.
>

> Looking forward to the flamewar that happens when Namesys decides that
> file-as-dir is ready to be turned on again. ;-)

Namesys still hasn't commented directly on the /meta proposal, have
they? That would avoid the flamewar altogether.

  Last update: 2005-06-28 21:44    [W:0.375 / U:0.296 seconds]