SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] ndevfs - a "nano" devfs
On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 12:40:15AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > 1) Predictable, canonical device names are a Good Thing.
>
> And impossible for the kernel to generate given hotpluggable devices.

Bull. It's clear I'm talking about per-subsystem, not having individual
devices show up with the same name each time. Or are you suggesting that
hotplug might somehow turn my keyboard into a hard drive?

> I don't accept it, and neither does anyone else.

So then explain this to me, I've got a GUI sound player, on first
invocation it displays a list of sound cards installed on the system,
allows the user to select one, and then plays the sound file. How is it
supposed to do that if the device nodes for sound card 0 could be named
anything? I can get a list of sound cards from /proc/asound or
/sys/class/sound, but unless the sound card device nodes are predictably
named there's no way to find them short of searching every node in /dev.

  Last update: 2005-06-28 11:14    [W:0.169 / U:0.012 seconds]